CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1999

Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:37:42 -0700
Hi, Everyone:

We are looking into a standalone 3-D image processing/analyzing workstation
and a back illuminated CCD camera. The primary usage we need to perform on
the workstation are:

1) De-convolution.

2) 3-d image processing/measurement. More specifically, we need to get
integrated density measurement of 3-d/4-d (3-D time-laps) experiments. Also,
possibly, we need to measure of co-localization of multiple stains in 3-d.

We do have a PC based de-convolution package now. The problem is speed. Even
with the fastest computer we can get and maximum amount of RAM we can put
into, it is still fairly time consuming with the data set we have.

The questions I have are:

1) Any recommendations about particular software and computer platforms for
all above applications? I know it is a difficult question. I am particularly
interested in the experience of those who use a Unix platform for the above
purposes. It is intended  for use in a multi-user facility.  Consequently,
ease of use and flexibility of software is a main concern.

2) If anyone has compared PC based and Unix based system for such
applications, I would particularly like to know the pros and cons of the two
platforms relative to each other.

3)  If anyone has opinions on particular back illuminated CCDs.  Our key
requirements are a) high sensitivity in the green wavelengths, b) small
pixel size (no greater than 10 micron pixels), c) relatively fast frame
acquisition with a greater emphasis on low dark current and readout noise

I thank, in advance,  those who respond. Please respond to me directly
instead of to the list (unless you think it is of generally interesting).

Commercially motivated responses are welcome. Nevertheless, we are in the
early stage of thinking whether it is worth to pursue further. So there is
no definitive plan for this yet.

Best wishes to all.

Xuejun

Xuejun Sun, Ph.D.