CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1999

From:
Jill Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:00:35 -0700
Donald,

This problem is more common than you might think, although not that easy to
solve.  The dead cell stains in MP's LIVE/DEAD kits are non-cell permeant,
like propidium iodide, and not set up for the kind of staining you are
doing, so probably won't give much better results.  One possible solution
is to use a mitochondrial probe, such as rhodamine 123, Mitotracker Red or
JC-1.  The advantage to using one of these dyes is that they are
membrane-permeant and may possibly be able to penetrate into more layers of
the fish.  The first two only stain healthy mitochondria;  JC-1 stains all
mitochondria, but those with high membrane potential are red and those with
low membrane potential are green. Presumabably your dead cells will have
mitochondria with low or non-existent membrane potential and will be
distinguishable from live cells.  By using JC-1, you have a control for
cell permeability.

There is even one paper using JC-1 in whole mice to study apoptosis in
spleenocytes:  N. Zamzami, et al. J Exp Med 182, 367 (1995).  The JC-1 was
injected into the mouse.

You can find more information on the mitochondrial stains at the MP web
site:
http://www.probes.com
--
Jill Hendrickson