CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1999

From:
Greg Joss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:54:38 +1000
>Date:         Wed, 5 May 1999 09:49:39 -0400
>Subject:      Image/Motion Analysis System
>
>Hi All.
>    First, thanks to everyone for their suggestions
>regarding the labeling of dead cells in live fish.  We
>will be trying some of them and will update the group.
>
>   New question:  This is a non-confocal question, but
>involves imaging software.   Does anyone know of software
>that will allow the automatic analysis of a series of
>frames of a swimming fish?  Specifically, we would like
>the software to recognize the fish, plot its location and
>trajectory and also automatically calculate the degree to
>which the fish is "bent" as it swims along.  Any software
>that would automate one or more of these steps would
>be of interest to us.  We are capturing TIF images using
>a high speed camera.
>    Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Don
>
>Donald M. O'Malley, Ph.D.
>Department of Biology
>414 Mugar Hall
>Northeastern University
>Boston, MA 02115

I have done this quite successfully using NIH-Image macros.
Even better, Object-Image, an extention of NIH-Image by Norbert Vischer is
available via http://simon.bio.uva.nl/object-image.html.

I have also exchanged techniques/movies with
Dr. Bill Saidel
Assoc. Prof.                      Vocal phone   (609) 225-6336
Department of Biology             FAX  (609) 225-6312
Science Building                  email:  [log in to unmask]
315 Penn St.
Camden, NJ 08102 -1411
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html
who uses NIH-Image to analyse movement of fish attacking food on and above
the surface.

Quite comprehensive tracking/measurements can be effectively automated.

In the particular case where the centre of mass of the fish image may fall
outside the fish projection (because it is highly curled in an arc),
particular Object-Image extensions (rTop,rLeft for analyzeParticles) to
NIH-Image are particularly useful in simplifying tracking.

Let me know if you have any particular question/problems.
Greg Joss,
School of Biological Sciences, Phone:(61)(2) 9850 8212 Fax: 9850 8174
Macquarie University,          Email [log in to unmask]
North Ryde, (Sydney,) NSW 2109, Australia