CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1999

From:
Beat Ludin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:46:55 +0200
>Hi All,
>
>Is anyone aware of a manufacturer that makes 96-well plates with coverslip
>bottoms that could for imaging?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Doug Hubatsch

Whatman Polyfiltronics (www.polyfiltronics.com) makes
coverglass-bottom 96-well plates. The ones we received had "Evotec"
printed on them, so I assume they were designed for fluorescence
correlation spectroscopy. They work mostly alright for cells
(although I suspect that the glass is not clean enough for longterm
neuronal culture). Pretty expensive, especially if you are doing
routine assays.

We (Life Imaging Services) have recently designed a 96-well chamber
with exchangeable coverglass bottom that would reduce the running
cost to about 1-2 dollars per experiment. Furthermore you could clean
and coat the big coverslip (and even plate the cells, if you wish)
before mounting it into the chamber, thus dramatically reducing work
load and well-to-well fluctuations. Furthermore, the chamber would be
made of stainless steel and therefore be much less susceptible to
temperature-induced focus instability compared to plastic plates.

We are currently trying to find out whether there is enough interest
to make this a viable product - so, please everyone, if you are
interested, please let me know.

Best regards,

Beat Ludin

LIFE IMAGING SERVICES