CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 1999

From:
Ian Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:40:24 +0930
We use Maxoptix  1.3GB MO drives (about 620 MB per side) on our OS/2
machines. Overall they work pretty wee - occasionally we end up wit a
side of a disk which is unreadable by OS/2, which is a real pain. We
haven't been able to solve this problem. Usually, we can use the command
line interface to get data off the discs, when the Desktop interface
fails, but this doesn't always work.

With regard to the SCSI interface, we had to install and use  CorelSCSI
to set up the drives so that the OS/2 system software (As opposed to the
hardware) could find, recognise and read the disks. You can see if this
is a problem by watching the screen at bootup - early on in the peice
you should see all the SCSI devices that are recognised by the hardware.
If they show up here but not on your desktop, try CorelSCSI. We also
have to use CorelSCSI to format the MO disks.

Finally, most of use have given up on the MOs and we now use a central
file server that can be accessed by any computer in our network (See my
posts earlier this year...)

Hope that helps  - good luck with the "alien's system" as someone called
it yesterday! (but you have to admit it has a bit more character than
all the WIN warped stuff...)

IAN

--
Professor Ian Gibbins