CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 1999

From:
Soumitra Ghoshroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:25:42 -0600
Dear all microscopists,

One researcher in our EM facility wants to do fluorescent in situ
hybridization (FISH)of some bacterial cells and would like to visualize it
under the laser scanning confocal microscope in our lab. The bacteria are
in a bio film either growing on a glass slide or on a pecan shell.

My questions are the following:

1. Can pecan shell being an opaque substrate be used to detect flourescent
signals coming from the bacterial cells growing on it ?

2. What kind of flourochromes would be ideal for bio film study ?

3. Are there any kits available to prepare probes conjugated to certain
fluorochromes ?

4. Is there any good literature out there related to this application ?

I would very much appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance.

Soumitra

Soumitra Ghoshroy Ph.D.