CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1999

From:
"James F. Sanzo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:57:04 -0500
Diana,

I have two BioRad 1024s: an ES and an MP, both within our multiuser
facility. Of course, this series runs on OS/2, so I can't directly comment
on the usability of the Windows NT version of the Lasersharp software that
runs the Radiance 2000. However, if history is any indication, since the
OS/2 version of Lasersharp is very intuitive and easy to operate-  the NT
version might be also....  I find that I can usually teach a new user how
to run the system in one or two 2 hour sessions. Experienced confocalists
and computer-folk pick it up much more quickly.

Perhaps the most outstanding benefit of owing a BioRad is access to their
superb technical support. I have never come across a better service
organization for any instrumentation of any kind. If I had known how good
their service was during the decision making phase of the purchase, it sure
would have simplified the process!

Best of luck,
Jim

At 12:18 PM 11/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>We are in the process of upgrading our multi-user confocal facility. We
>presently have an "old" Noran Odyssey but, for various reasons, have
>narrowed down our choices for the next machine to the Bio-Rad Radiance 2000
>and the Leica TCS SP Spectral Confocal. Since both of these systems are
>fairly new I would like feedback from users who have any experience with
>either or both of them- positives and negatives. In particular, since we are
>a multi-user facility I would like feedback on how easy you have found
>either of these for the non-expert user.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Diana Kunze, Ph.D.
>Rammelkamp Center for Education and Research
>MetroHealth Medical Center
>Cleveland, OH 44141
>phone 216-778-8967
>fax 216-778-2090

James F. Sanzo, Ph.D.
Codirector, Biomedical Imaging Core Laboratory
B-110 Richards Building
Department of Pathology
University of Pennsylvania
36th and Hamilton Walk