CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1999

From:
Derek Schulze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:40:00 -0800
You might want to consider CRI.

http://www.cri-inc.com/Pages/framesets/product_rgb_imag.html

I would recommend an Apogee camera [B&W] (CRI's own camera is an Apogee)
coupled to CRI's liquid crystal RGB filter setup.  This way you will get a
VERY fast system that is true colour and true resolution.  This is a three
shot system but it is very fast so you won't really care.  Unless you look
at a three chip camera and get a digitizer you will be looking at single
shot colour digital cameras which effectivley give you 1/3 of their actual
resolution because pixels are dedicated to either red, green or blue and
their combined signal reproduces the colour image.  So one third of the CCD
array gives the red signal, one third green and the final third blue -
these signals are then superimposed and the resulting image is RGB and one
third the regular resolution.  Watch out for interpolating software!!

The Spot uses a system identical to the CRI setup but is Twain driven and
is slower.  Not to mention more expensive.  The Apogee camera is
upgradeable which means that when you want more resolution you can have a
larger chip installed!

Yes we have an Apogee camera (KX85) and we love it!
No I do not have any financial interests in Apogee or CRI.

You will be looking at a cost of around $10,000 USD for the whole thing.

At 12:38 PM 1999-11-24 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear All;
>        I'm looking for recommendations before we purchase a digital
camera for
>our lab. We have a low-resolution Pixera camera- great for dissecting scope
>work. Then we have a PI cooled-CCD camera. Great for cell work, but black
>and white. We're looking for something in between these two resolution
>extremes, three-color, and not too pricey. Our goal is to publish
>moderately high resolution images of H&E sections and some dissecting scope
>gross morphology images. The Pixera just isn't cutting it as far as
>resolution. Is the Spot camera what I'm looking for? Any suggestions would
>be great.
>        Thanks in advance!
>        Kathy Spencer
>

>Kathy Spencer
>The Scripps Research Institute
>10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
>IMM 24
>La Jolla, CA 92037
>(858) 784-9372

-Derek Schulze

Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy
Cancer Research Labs, 353 Botterell Hall
Queen's University
Kingston, ON, K7L 3N6
Canada