CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1999

Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:50:52 -0600
Robert Zucker <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message news:
> Mike
> I know about the Leica filterless SP system's importance.
> What is a multitracking confocal microscope and why is this important?
> Bob

Two reasons come to mind.  Eliminating bleed through by sequentially firing
the lasers really did indicate the level of bleed and cleaned up the images
fantastically (at a slower scan rate, however).  Also, another benefit of
improved scan control was being able to exert fine control for
photobleaching studies.  We found being able to 'design' our own ROIs for
bleaching (whatever shape we needed) was extremely useful.  This was
particularly beneficial when wanting to bleach various regions of differing
size and shape.  For our work, I need to put the photobleaching control high
up on the want list; more generically, most folks would probably appreciate
less bleed.  I guess we'll all see how much of this the new leica will be
able to do when they start demo'ing it....

Michael A. Mancini, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX