CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1999

From:
Tamara Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:03:08 -0500
The key to using para-phenylenediamine is pH - if the pH is below ~8.0,
you will see fading and background. We buffer our medium with
bicarbonate to keep the pH up.

The glycerol you use makes a difference, too. Some glycerols will
autofluoresce...I have *no* idea why, but we found a reliable source
(after testing glycerol from several vendors) but always check a new
bottle before using to make mounting media.

My own observation as far as Vectashield goes - it is fine if you
are looking at freshly prepared samples, but we start to see a lot of
media autofluorescence once the slides have been stored at -20C. Slides
mounted with the para-phenylenediamine medium can be stored at -70C for
years and still be gorgeous on the 'scope. Prolong stores better than
Vectashield (in my experience) - but I'm convinced that it is
para-phenylenediamine-based, just from the way the dry ingredient looks
and behaves.

My $0.02

Tamara Howard
CSHL