Karen Swanberg wrote:
I'm successfully growing greens indoors, and I've gotten a few bell
peppers as well. I ate a ping-pong sized red pepper today for lunch that
I grew in my basement.

I use aquaponics (mentioned here before) and I have a setup in my basement
(using LED lights) and one in my kitchen (window supplemented by
flourescent lights).

Overview of my systems:
http://www.howlingmoose.com/aquaponics_overview.html
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/07/01/urban_farming/

A thread on my basement setup:
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3047

the kitchen setup:
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4132

I've found that by far the best performers in these low-light systems are
chinese greens (I've tried pakchoi, tatsoi), Kale (winter types) and
claytonia (miner's lettuce.) Cilantro did great, and basil and swiss chard
did ok. I keep trying more things, too.

Most of the fruiting things I've tried (peas, squash, strawberries...)
have failed miserably.

-Karen