AMSA-LIST Archives

July 2004

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Angie Fryer [log in to unmask]
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:53:05 CDT
If you're not participating/interested in the planning of the upcoming
conference, please disregaurd this message...

Minutes of AMSA meeting June 30, 2004, 3:00pm at the home of Lucie Turcott.
Present:  Luci Turcott, Angie Fryer, Sarah Nakib, Jeremy Bennett, Matt
Miller, Jeannette Zinggeller.

Discussion centered on the upcoming regional AMSA conference we will be
hosting on October 22-23 (Fri.-Sat.) at the University of Minnesota.

Location:  The conference will very likely be held at the Humphrey Center
on the University’s West Bank.

Time:  Fri morning to Sat. evening.  There will also be a national AMSA
hosted session Thurs. evening, and possible social events on Sun., for
example an MOA trip on the way to the aeropuerto.

Events:  Speakers and breakout sessions will revolve primarily around our 4
themes:
	Global Health
	Insurance and Malpractice
	Pharm Free
	Community Health/Physician Partnerships

	We will also pepper in some other sessions for people to attend if they’re
not interested in the themes, for example a physician well-being session or
a short set by Prince.  We will also have to schedule some pre-med stuff.
	If anyone is interested in contributing to these themes, please contact
any of the members present at this meeting.  We will gladly accept any
help/ideas we can get.

Keynote Speakers:  We plan to have both an opening and closing keynote
speaker, Friday morning and Saturday evening respectively.  No one has been
nabbed yet.  Big names being fished for include Al Franken, Jimmy Carter,
Jesse Ventura, Mike Osterholm, Michael Moore, Susan Sarandon, Jessica
Lange, Garrison Keillor…..
If you know how to snag any of these or any other big name, big draw
characters, again, let us know.

Residency Fair:  Friday 4-6.  This is a moneymaker for us.  Programs from
our region plus WI and IL will be contacted.

Exhibitors’ Fair:  Sat. 11-2.  Also a moneymaker.

Sponsors:  We will be soliciting monetary donations as well as prizes to
give away at the conference from a whole slew of businesses.  If you’d like
to help us out with this, please do.

Evening events:  we kicked around a couple of ideas, but thought we could
postpone their organization until later.

So, right now we need to nail down keynote and session speakers; they are
what people are coming for.  Also, we would like some money to pay for
this.  Any ideas and help in making this conference a success are
appreciated.

Next meeting TBA.  Probably after our July 12 deadline for making our
contacts.

Jeremy Bennett
Secretary