AMSA-LIST Archives

August 2003

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Joshua Rhein [log in to unmask]
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:25:15 -0500
Hello All,

We would like to plan some events this year around National Primary Care
Week in cooperation with each of the schools in the AHC.  We are looking for
student leaders from each school to help come up with ideas and plan the
events.  If you are interested in participating, see the message below from
National Office of the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) and for
more information check:

https://www.amsa.org/programs/npcw/npcw.cfm

As far as I am aware, the U of M has not yet designated a NPCW student
leader.  If you are interested in this position or in helping out with
National Primary Care Week, please reply and I can help direct you in the
right direction.  Please forward this message to others you think might be
interested, especially those in schools outside the medical school.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Josh Rhein
AMSA Co-President

----Original Message Follows----

August 19, 2003

National Primary Care Week begins exactly 2 months from today (October
19-25th).  In case you need a recap, National Primary Health Care Week
started in 1999 in an effort to raise awareness of the importance of primary
care careers and to function as a resource for health professions students
interested in generalist medicine.  This year's theme is "Advocacy for
Health: A Professional Responsibility."  We encourage each school to develop
programs and events that focus on this topic.
Typical NPCW events include panel discussions by health professionals,
health screening fairs, workshops and community service projects.

If you have not already done so, please designate an NPCW student leader or
forward to your chapter members so that your school is not left out.  While
we already have reps for many states, we still do not have any for AK, AS,
AZ, AR, MT, NV, NH, NJ, NM, CT, DE, GU, HI, ID, IN, ND, OK, OR, RI, IA, KS,
KY, ME, MA, SC, SD, TX, UT, VT, VI, WA, MS, WV, WI or WY.  Additionally,
there is more than one medical school in most states, so that even if your
state is not listed, you may still not have an NPCW leader for your school.

Don't let lack of money stop you from planning events either since FUNDING
IS AVAILABLE!!!!  In order to qualify, your leader must apply online no
later than September 30, 2003.  However, funding is limited so apply as
early as you can.

Every effort was made to work around all of your busy exam schedules;
however, we realize that these dates may not work for all of you.  Please
feel free to choose another week if the dates chosen interfere with your
school's schedule.

Thank you for your participation!
The NPCW Staff at AMSA

<b>Get MSN 8</b> and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection.