AMSA-LIST Archives

November 2002

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:43:07 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C28F7D.C64B1AD0

Hey AMSA AIDS activists,

A few people have asked about what to say or what to offer our =
co-sponsors in exchange for their greenbacks.  If this is of no interest =
to you, please delete.

Otherwise, below is an example of working the "co-sponsoring" magic, =
including a tentative schedule of events and specific things we can =
offer to co-sponsors such as including their names and websites on =
advertisements, announcing their co-sponsorship during the introduction =
and offering them the opportunity to ask the first or second question as =
the "XX - sponsored question".  Hope this helps.

Fantastic job everybody on pulling all of this together and great job on =
the fundraising so far.  It is truly shaping up to be an amazing week, =
unprecedented here at the U of MN -- history in the making.

Peace out,

Quy

Hi Kirk,

My apologies for still not dropping off the receipt for the Paul Farmer =
lunch lecture.  I actually think I lost the receipt, but will soon go =
back to the Lucky Dragon to ask for another one when I order more food =
for the upcoming World AIDS Days and Human Rights Day activities.

AMSA has been busy planning a week of activities for World AIDS Days and =
Human Rights Day (Dec. 1 - Dec. 10).  We have scheduled a series of =
lunch lectures, starting with a keynote talk by Dr. Keith Henry titled, =
"Antiretroviral therapy in Resource Poor Countries: The Glass is =
Half-Full." on Monday.  In afternoon, we will likely show the movie, =
"And the Band Played On".   On Tuesday, we will have two lectures, one =
on AIDS Treatment and a personal account from a woman (sponsored by =
Women in Medicine).  On Thursday, SIHC will sponsor a student panel to =
talk about experiences and opportunities in the field of HIV/AIDS.  The =
following Monday, a group of students and faculty from the Schools of =
Public Health, Pharmacology and Medicine and the Department of Cultural =
Studies and Women's Studies will talk about their current efforts to =
change U of MN policy regarding patents and access to essential =
medicines and the recent history of research and ethical considerations =
regarding patents and profits on essential medicines, particlarly AIDS =
medications.  Finally, on Human Rights Day, I hope to invite a couple =
people from the local Center for Victims of Torture to talk about their =
work regarding health and human rights. =20

We have made over 500 AIDS ribbons to handout throughout the week We =
have invited quite a few local AIDS organizations to display booths on =
Dec. 2.  PHRM would be welcome to display a booth as well.=20

I will soon meet with folks at CVT because of a mutual interest of =
starting a local Physicians for Human Rights student chapter.  =
Hopefully, the lunch lecture by CVT on Human Rights Day will be the =
local PHR's first event.

Of course all of this activity is requiring the co-sponsorship of a lot =
of student and campus organizations.  Most of the lunch lectures will be =
fully or co-sponsored by the above organzations.  We are hoping that the =
Program in Human Rights in Medicine will be able to co-sponsor Dr. =
Henry's keynote talk and the Human Rights Day talk as well since these =
seem to be in line with PHRM's mission.  Again, PHRM will be highlighted =
in all of our advertisements (and there will be many), thanked at the =
beginning of each lecture and be given the opportunity to supply the =
first or second question to each of the speakers.  A PHRM co-sponsorship =
of $100 - $200 for each lecture (we expect at least 200 to attend the =
Dr. Henry talk) would enable us to nearly complete our fundraising for =
this entire week of activities focusing on AIDS and human rights.  AMSA =
will supply part of the funding for the Dr. Henry talk, but the Human =
Rights Day talk currently does not have a sponsor as a local PHR student =
chapter does not yet exist and any possible funding from the national =
PHR would likely not be available for a while.

Please let us know if PHRM would be willing to co-sponsor these lunch =
lectures and the other activities for the week between World AIDS Day =
and Human Rights Day.  Our publicity committee is hoping to print out =
the advertisements with a schedule of events and names of co-sponsors on =
Friday afternoon.

Thank you again for all the support you have provided us in the past.  =
Without your support, many of the activities we are undertaking would =
not be possible.  We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Quy

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C28F7D.C64B1AD0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV>Hey AMSA AIDS activists,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A few people have asked about what to say or what to offer our =
co-sponsors=20
in exchange for their greenbacks.&nbsp; If this is of no interest to =
you, please=20
delete.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Otherwise, below is an example of working the "co-sponsoring" =
magic,=20
including a tentative schedule of events and specific things we can =
offer to=20
co-sponsors such as including their names and websites&nbsp;on =
advertisements,=20
announcing their co-sponsorship during the introduction and offering =
them the=20
opportunity to ask the first or second question as the "XX - sponsored=20
question".&nbsp; Hope this helps.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Fantastic job everybody on pulling all of this together and great =
job on=20
the fundraising so far.&nbsp; It is truly shaping up to be an amazing =
week,=20
unprecedented here at the U of MN -- history in the making.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Peace out,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Quy</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hi Kirk,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My apologies for still not dropping off the receipt for the Paul =
Farmer=20
lunch lecture.&nbsp; I actually think I lost the receipt, but will soon =
go back=20
to the Lucky Dragon to ask for another one when I order more food for =
the=20
upcoming World AIDS Days and Human Rights Day activities.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>AMSA has been busy planning a week of activities for World AIDS =
Days and=20
Human Rights Day (Dec. 1 - Dec. 10).&nbsp; We have scheduled a series of =
lunch=20
lectures, starting with a keynote talk by Dr. Keith Henry titled,=20
"Antiretroviral therapy in Resource Poor Countries: The Glass is =
Half-Full." on=20
Monday.&nbsp; In afternoon, we&nbsp;will&nbsp;likely show the =
movie,&nbsp;"And=20
the Band Played&nbsp;On".&nbsp;&nbsp; On Tuesday,&nbsp;we will have two=20
lectures, one&nbsp;on AIDS Treatment and a personal account from a woman =

(sponsored by Women in Medicine).&nbsp; On Thursday,&nbsp;SIHC will=20
sponsor&nbsp;a student panel to talk about experiences and opportunities =
in the=20
field of HIV/AIDS.&nbsp; The following Monday, a group of students and =
faculty=20
from the Schools of Public Health, Pharmacology and Medicine and the =
Department=20
of Cultural Studies and&nbsp;Women's Studies will talk about their =
current=20
efforts to change U of MN policy regarding patents and&nbsp;access to =
essential=20
medicines and the recent history of research and ethical considerations=20
regarding patents and profits on essential medicines, particlarly AIDS=20
medications.&nbsp; Finally, on Human Rights Day, I hope to invite a =
couple=20
people from the local Center for Victims of Torture to talk about their =
work=20
regarding health and human rights.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We have made over 500 AIDS ribbons to handout throughout the week =
We have=20
invited quite a few local AIDS organizations to display booths on Dec. =
2.&nbsp;=20
PHRM would be welcome to display a booth as well. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I will soon meet with&nbsp;folks at CVT because of a mutual =
interest of=20
starting a local Physicians for Human Rights student=20
chapter.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hopefully, the lunch lecture by CVT on Human Rights =
Day will=20
be&nbsp;the local PHR's first event.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Of course all of this activity is requiring the co-sponsorship of a =
lot of=20
student and campus organizations.&nbsp; Most of the lunch lectures will =
be fully=20
or co-sponsored by the above organzations.&nbsp; We are hoping that the =
Program=20
in Human Rights in Medicine will be able to co-sponsor Dr. Henry's =
keynote talk=20
and the Human Rights Day talk as well since these seem to be in line =
with PHRM's=20
mission.&nbsp; Again, PHRM will be highlighted in all of our =
advertisements (and=20
there will be many), thanked at the beginning of each lecture and be =
given the=20
opportunity to supply the first or second question to each of the=20
speakers.&nbsp; A PHRM co-sponsorship of $100 - $200 for each lecture =
(we expect=20
at least 200 to attend the Dr. Henry talk) would enable us to nearly =
complete=20
our fundraising&nbsp;for this entire week of activities focusing on AIDS =
and=20
human rights.&nbsp; AMSA will supply part of the funding for the Dr. =
Henry talk,=20
but the Human Rights Day talk currently does not have a sponsor as a =
local PHR=20
student chapter does not yet exist and any possible funding from the =
national=20
PHR would likely not be available for a while.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Please let us know if PHRM would be willing to co-sponsor these =
lunch=20
lectures and the other activities&nbsp;for the week between&nbsp;World =
AIDS Day=20
and Human Rights Day.&nbsp; Our publicity committee is hoping to print =
out the=20
advertisements with a schedule of events and names of co-sponsors on =
Friday=20
afternoon.</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you again for all the support you have provided us in the =
past.&nbsp;=20
Without your support, many of the activities we are undertaking would =
not be=20
possible.&nbsp; We look forward to hearing from you soon.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Best regards,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Quy</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C28F7D.C64B1AD0--