AMSA-LIST Archives

November 2002

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:07:55 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01C2843D.DD141EB0

AMSA folks,

Mark your calendars now for the AMSA national convention in March in =
Washington DC!  As a heads up, we will neeed to start some fundraising =
so as many of us can go as possible.  I have heard, in addition to being =
very educational and a great place to network with peers with similar =
ideals, that the conference is quite a good time.

Since the conference will be in DC, hopefully we can organize a =
contingent to pay a visit to the Minnesota policymakers up on the hill =
and to pay homage to Paul and Sheila Wellstone.

Dr. Jim Kim, the other co-founder of Partners in Health along with Dr. =
Paul Farmer, will be one of the speakers at the AMSA national =
convention.  Dr. Kim is also a physician-anthropologist and activist and =
is just as inspiring as Dr. Farmer.  I worked mostly with Dr. Kim during =
my internship at PIH a couple summers ago and have been in contact with =
him about a potential MDR-TB project in Vietnam.  He helped establish =
and expand the MDR-TB treatment program in Peru to a nation-wide level =
and will soon release a book called Miracles and Misery, an ethnography =
of the pharmaceutical industry.

We'll talk more about the national AMSA convention at future meeting.  =
Hope everybody had a good weekend.

Quy

P.S.  If anybody would like to directly receive emails like this about =
AMSA or any of its focus areas, sign up for a listserv on the AMSA =
website.

----- Original Message -----=20