GOFDANS Archives

January 2008

GOFDANS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Jukka Savolainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Government of Finland/David and Nancy Speer Professorship Events <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:05:42 -0600
Dear Friends:
I had a chance to visit Finland last week. My trip coincided with the
broadcast of the TV-documentary about the recent tour of the
Lannen-Jukka String Band around the Lake Superior area. (J. Karjalainen
and his band). As you may recall, the tour culminated in two events here
in MPLS: Suomi-Finland Social Club at the UMN Immigration History
Research Center and a concert at the Nordic Roots Festival (Cedar
Cultural Center). This whole experience was filmed by Mr. Erkki
Maattanen of the Finnish Broadcasting Company (YLE).

The 30 min documentary was aired on Monday, Jan 7 at 8pm. prime-time,
right before the TV1 nightly news. It attracted 400,000 viewers,
representing 21% of the national market share. To put this in context, I
did some research about US TV-ratings. A recent "60-minutes" episode
delivered the same 21% share - it was the most popular "60-minutes" in
more than three years! (It was the one featuring two exclusive
interviews: Roger Clemens responding to the doping accusations against
him, and the first interview with President Musharraf following the
Bhutto assassination.)

In short, the response to this documentary has been tremendous. (Not
surprising, given the quality of film-making and the subject-matter.) I
want to thank all of you who participated in this valuable project.

Thanks!

Jukka