GOFDANS Archives

January 2008

GOFDANS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Mika Aaltola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Government of Finland/David and Nancy Speer Professorship Events <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:17:54 -0600
Dear Friends,

In keeping with our commitment to scholarly excellence, I am pleased to
announce that three Doctoral Fellows has joined our ranks for the period of
three months (January-March). They will be associated with the Department
of Political Science. They coming to Minnesota is made possible by the
GOFDANS resources. They will be working mainly on issues related to
humanitarianism. They are from the University of Tampere, Finland. I am
sure that they will be eager to contribute to the University community
generally and also to the Government of Finland/David and Nancy Speer
&#8211;activities. What follows is a brief description of their backgrounds
and research interests.

Yours,

Mika Aaltola

Saara Särmä, M.Soc.Sc., is a researcher and doctoral student at the
Deparment of Political Science and International Relations, University of
Tampere, Finland. The working title of her doctoral dissertation is
"Masculinist International Relations - Feminist Readings on Nuclear
Proliferation". Her research interests include feminist theory,
masculinity, nuclear proliferation, world order, US foreign policy,
humanitarianism, and critical security studies. She has taught courses on
feminist IR and academic writing.

http://www.uta.fi/laitokset/politiikka/staff/sarma.html

Juha Käpylä, M.Soc.Sc., is a researcher and doctoral student at the
Deparment of Political Science and International Relations, University of
Tampere, Finland. Käpylä&#8217;s Ph.D. dissertation &#8220;International
Traumas and Dead Metaphors &#8211; Development of the Concept of Human
Rights after Traumatic International Upheavals since World War II - an
American Perspective&#8221; will analyze the historical development of the
concept of "human rights" in the 20th and early 21st century especially via
three specific "international traumas" - namely the Second World War, the
Vietnam War and the terrorist acts of September 11. 2001. The analysis will
be limited to examine the political debates of US political elite
concerning "human rights" during and right after these three international
events. Käpylä's main, pragmatist assumption is that language within which
all concepts, including the political concept of &#8220;human
rights&#8221;, reside is ever evolving, and moreover that one possible
mechanism for this change are massive, sometimes even international
traumatic experiences in our living world - such as genocides, large acts
of armed violence, acts of terror or collapses of political systems or
world orders - which force us to re-examine the current linguistic and
moral vocabularies we have. These traumatic events cause can cause what
Foucault calls &#8220;ruptures&#8221; in our normal language at hand - they
can create moments which help us see the poverty of our current language in
explaining and justifying our moral and political world view. But, as
Foucault argues, a &#8220;rupture&#8221; in a current language game does
not mean absolute change in our beliefs, but a redistribution of them, kind
of a reconfiguration of its elements. It is just these ruptures and their
effects to the political evolution of the concept of &#8220;human
rights&#8221; that Käpylä aims to analyze.

Harri Mikkola, M.Soc.Sc, is a researcher and doctoral student at the
Deparment of Political Science and International Relations, University of
Tampere, Finland. His Ph.D. dissertation "Between Contingency and
Self-Overcoming - The Idea of Human Freedom in the American Pragmatist
Tradition&#8221; will analyze one of the key concepts of humanitarianism -
the concept of &#8220;freedom&#8221;. Mikkola&#8217;s analysis will focus
on the question how the American pragmatist tradition has seen the limits
and possibilities of human freedom, and the role the pragmatist tradition
has given to spatio-temporal, necessarily political powers in defining the
real essence of human freedom. Although many scholars acknowledge that even
the most defining concepts of American liberal humanitarianism are
offsprings of their time, and that using any given concept has political
consequences, many still see &#8220;freedom&#8221; as a philosophically
essential, politically universal and unproblematic concept in defining the
moral legitimacy of our political decisions and actions. By doing this,
they remove themselves from overt political engagement that all concepts
must necessarily have. Mikkola&#8217;s critical pragmatist examination
tries to re-assess these assumptions. For Mikkola also the concept of
&#8220;human freedom&#8221; is under continuous conceptual evolution and
socio-political debate, and what Foucault called &#8220;spheres of
power&#8221; - webs of political power relations of social forces which
extend to the whole social field - play the most important role in giving
our concepts the meaning they have. It is problematic that while nurturing
the idea of &#8220;humanitarianism&#8221; many actors have had &#8220;an
oblivion of power&#8221;; they have not seen clearly enough the
significance of the certain political powers and background assumptions
that define the concept of &#8220;humanitarianism&#8221;. In
Mikkola&#8217;s view it is essential to thoroughly study academic
pragmatist tradition due to (1) its enormous effect on the understanding of
the concept of &#8220;freedom&#8221; as understood by American policy
makers today, (2) due to its significance to the evolution of the concept
of &#8220;human freedom&#8221; as a whole and (3) due to it&#8217;s
promising theoretical emphasis on power and human praxis in conceptual
evolution.