ISHPSB-L Archives

September 2022

ISHPSB-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Lloyd Ackert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Ackert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2022 18:03:51 +0000
Dear Colleagues,
   So sorry for the late sending of these announcements.

TEACHING FROM THE ISHPSSB PERSPECTIVE – INTEREST??

   We are considering asking members to share their recent publications (or not so recent) that would be useful for teaching from the ISHPSSB perspective. These could be included in the ISH website, and perhaps lead to a pedagogy session at the next meeting.
   Please let me know if this would be of interest to you by emailing me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

TENURE TRACK FACULTY POSITIONS

UCLA – History of Medicine

   The UCLA Department of History invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant professor in the history of medicine. The chronological and geographical range are open but we especially welcome candidates whose work includes a transnational or global dimension, who are interested in the technological and material aspects of medical practice, broadly construed, and who think in an integrated way about the history of science, technology and medicine and their place in a history department.
   The deadline for receiving applications and required documents is November 1, 2022. Applications will be reviewed immediately thereafter. All candidates must have completed their PhD in history or related field no later than June 30, 2023.
   The department welcomes candidates whose experience in teaching, research or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply online at
https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF07754 to upload their information for this position. This position is subject to final administrative approval.
    Documents should include a letter of application; curriculum vitae; writing sample; statements of teaching and research; and three letters of recommendation. A statement addressing the applicant’s past and/or potential contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion is also required. Please visit the UCLA Equity, Diversity and Inclusion website for Sample Guidance for Candidates on the Statement of Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: https://equity.ucla.edu/programs-resources/faculty-search-process/faculty-search-committee-resources/sample-guidance/.

CONFERENCES

Philosophy in Biology and Medicine 2022 – Registration Open

   Registration is now open for the third meeting of the Philosophy in Biology and Medicine (PhilInBioMed) international network. The meeting will be held on November 13 and 14, 2022 at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown in Pittsburgh, USA. This hotel is also the venue for the 2022 Philosophy of Science Association Meeting, and the PhilInBioMed conference will begin shortly after that meeting concludes.
   The PhilInBioMed Network is an international group of philosophers and scientists
advancing philosophy in biology and medicine by using philosophical tools to contribute to science. The meeting will include research presentations from philosophers and scientists, including a number of joint philosopher-scientist presentations.

Event details are found on the conference website:
https://www.philinbiomed.org/event/third-philinbiomed-meeting/

Registration is free but required:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLt9FrvGrSD4x7Iu_e8fi2KSJyMXqAf1cUGnXm1qxG_kr4gw/viewform

Attendees may book a room at the Wyndham using the PSA discount hotel booking website, which is accessible through the PSA Meeting page:
https://psa2022.dryfta.com/

Contact: Jonathan Fuller ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and Lucie Laplane ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

We hope to see you in Pittsburgh!

-The PhilInBioMed 2022 Meeting Organizers

WORKSHOPS

We are delighted to announce our upcoming workshop The Statistics Wars and Their Casualties! (phil-stat-wars.com<http://phil-stat-wars.com/>). The workshop will now be fully online. The first 2 meetings (sessions 1 & 2) will be

September 22 and September 23, 2022
15-18:00 pm London time.

There will be two future online meetings (sessions 3 & 4) probably in December with dates and times to be announced. There will be lots of opportunities to engage in discussion with attendees and special panelists.  We very much hope to see you there!

Interested individuals can register/receive notification of updates, schedules and titles of talks by filling out the form at this link<https://phil-stat-wars.com/registration-the-statistics-wars-and-their-casualties-workshop-conference-22-23-september-at-the-london-school-of-economics/>.

If there are questions, they should contact
Jean Miller
or
Margherita Harris

SCHOLARSHIPS
Bordeaux, FR
     We have a 6 month Philosophy of Biology Masters 2 Scholarship (about 450€ per month, January-June 2023, in Bordeaux, France) for a  student to work on plant individuality. The question to be addressed is related to the fact that the individual plant is often considered more like a genetic mosaic than like a genetically homogeneous body, which corresponds to the classical animal individuality.
   The subject has both an historical dimension, a contemporary biology dimension (with intra-plant sequencing data) and a philosophical dimension.
Please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Best regards, Lloyd

Lloyd Ackert, Ph.D.
Department of History
Drexel University