MOU-RBA Archives

June 2012

From:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:48:46 -0600
I have possible sad news to report on the White-winged Dove, just in case
this affects the decisions of other birders who have contacted me about
visiting.

To the best of my knowledge, the bird was last spotted at our feeders
yesterday (Thursday) afternoon around 4:30 pm.  I wasn't around much, but I
have not seen the bird today and I think that those who tried today missed
it.  On top of this, we found a roadkill dove a little more than a mile
from our house at an intersection crosswalk; like it may have been 'stuck'
to a bumper and fell off when the vehicle stopped, meaning it could have
been hit even closer to our house.  I got out and checked the bird to see
it it was the WWDO, but it was too badly damaged to identify.  It did
appear to have a lot of white feathers around the wing area, but those
could have been MODO tail feathers pushed up--it was just too difficult to
tell.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope the bird is still alive and either moved on by
its own free will or is due to return any time now, but I thought I should
report its possible death before anyone traveled a long distance to see
it.  If it returns, I'll post the good news immediately.

Shawn Conrad