MOU-RBA Archives

May 2013

From:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 08:25:06 -0600
The Yellow-throated Warbler was still present this morning at the same location at Rapids Lake MVNWR.   And after a bit longer of a stake out I discovered that this bird was singing more often yesterday than I thought.   While yesterday I heard his typical song once, there was another unusual song in the area that I misplaced to an alternate song of an Orange-crowned Warlber(after viewing that species in the same area that I heard the unusual song).    This morning the Yellow-throated Warbler sang his typical song several times, but I was hearing the unusual song more often.  After some waiting I finally saw him sing this particular song.   The best way I could describe the song is a cross between a Northern Parula and a Black-throated Green Warbler, but that may not be accurate. The Yellow-throated Warbler appeared to be moving in a circular area; intially in the same spot as yesterday southwest of the bridge, then moving to the southeast of the bridge, then to the bridge, then northwest of the bridge, then back to the original spot, and finally ending up south of the trail.  There were no major changes in bird variety this morning compared to yesterday, though Blue-headed Vireo and Eastern Towhee were recent arrivals.