MOU-RBA Archives

January 2020

From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2020 19:19:44 -0700

Bohemian Waxwing
Pine Siskin
Snow Bunting
Western Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: January 17, 2020
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Friday, January 17,
2020 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

This has been a quiet week in the northwest and it has been very cold.
Tonight we are forecast to get a blizzard and more snow. Feeders have
been busy today, as the tiny chickadees stoke up for another cold night.

I have a report of two NORTHERN HAWK OWLS along MN 72 north of Kelliher
this week, not certain of the county or counties they were seen in.

The Roseau CBC was held on January 4th , and tallied 29 species
including AMERICAN KESTREL, SPRUCE GROUSE, NORTHERN GOSHAWK, one GREAT
GRAY OWL, three NORTHERN SHRIKES, all the corvids, BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS,
WESTERN MEADOWLARK, PINE SISKINS, and SNOW BUNTINGS. On January 12th ,
Jeff Siverhus saw a GREAT GRAY OWL near Salol, and Beth Siverhus
reported BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS in Warroad on January 17th.

Nancy Wasik observed a PILEATED WOODPECKER in Eckles township of
Beltrami County this week.

On January 11, a NORTHERN GOSHAWK flew through our yard east of Thief
River Falls in Pennington County.

Becca Engdahl observed a pair of RUSTY BLACKBIRDS in Polk County on
January 9th. On the 11th, I found an adult male SNOWY OWL south of
Angus, and another was seen on January 16th between Crookston and
Eldred.

Mark Otnes reported a CACKLING GOOSE and a LESSER SCAUP at the Moorhead
WTP in Clay County on January 11th. A WOOD DUCK was seen there by
Patrick Beauzay on January 12th.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Friday, January 24, 2020.