MOU-RBA Archives

September 2015

From:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:06:51 -0600
This morning around 7:30 am there was a Spruce Grouse at the north end of
the spruce bog on the fire tower trail at Scenic State Park (just over 1/2
mile from the paved road).  Spruce Grouse have been seen here somewhat
regularly, particularly in the morning.  Ruffed Grouse have been seen near
the start of the Fire Tower Trail as well, so either species is possible
along the trail.

Near where the Spruce Grouse was located, I also heard a Black-backed
Woodpecker call several times.  I saw a male Black-backed Woodpecker
farther up the trail (near hike-in campsite 2) in late August which could
be the same bird.

Otherwise, there were also several warblers along the trail including Palm
and Magnolia and several species of raptors were seen migrating over around
noon--Turkey Vulture, Bald Eagle, Broad-winged Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk,
Cooper's Hawk.  Migrant sparrows are arriving (one White-crowned Sparrow
this week) and Swainson's Thrushes are still around.

Shawn Conrad