MOU-RBA Archives

November 2014

From:
Rebecca Field <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rebecca Field <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2014 13:18:25 -0700
I am sorry to hear there are those making a bad name for all bird
photographers. Being a bird photographer involved in bird conservation as
well, I do not push the limits for the sake of that perfect shot. Even with
a supertelephoto lens, there are some situations when one should simply
enjoy the sighting and let others enjoy as well. A posting of proper
etiquette, for both birdwatchers and photographers, may be in order. But
common sense and consideration for others is a pretty basic guide.

Rebecca Field

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Scott <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> As a bird photographer, I add my voice to Ken Vail in echoing his words of
> caution to those who do not respect the space of these beautiful wild
> birds. If you don't think it means you for some reason ("I had the
> landowner's permission"), please rethink your behavior anyway. I've watched
> many a person push the limits to get that better view or photo. I watch how
> my positioning affects the wildlife and take the longer shot rather than
> infringe on their comfort level.  I rely on the mou-net network to help me
> see amazing birds and thank you for your efforts.
>
> On 11/25/2014 7:14 PM, Ken Vail wrote:
>
>> Three Snowy Owls were still present this afternoon in the previously
>> reported areas.  I'm amazed at how quickly people respond to the posting.
>> There were 3 vehicles of birders looking at the owls two hours after my
>> original post.
>>
>> I was, however, horrified to see someone carrying his camera and tripod
>> chasing the pure white owl across the field to get his "money" shot.  When
>> I last saw this owl it was 50 yards from the road; after the chase it was
>> probably 500 yards.
>>
>> Reporting on these owls so that others may see these beautiful birds has
>> been a labor of love for me the past few years but I am now considering
>> keeping their presence to myself.
>>
>> Aside from the fact that he was probably trespassing (neighbors have
>> called
>> the police in the past rbecause of robberies in the area) he chased the
>> owl
>> hundreds of yards farther from the view of other birders who stayed on the
>> road.  Snowy Owls are relatively tame birds and with patience close-up
>> shots are possible and easy. This is one owl that may not be so tame in
>> the
>> future.
>>
>> Ken Vail
>>
>> ----