MOU-RBA Archives

June 2016

Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:36:55 -0600
Subject:
Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
This is a supplement to Warren Woessner's update on Yellow-throated Warblers at Gold Medal Park. From 9:30-10:00 a.m. this morning, I heard a Yellow-throated Warbler singing in the row of deciduous trees (mostly maples) to the north, west, and east of the large Gold Medal Park sign, which is located at the corner of 10th Avenue South and 2nd Street South east of downtown Minneapolis. At about 9:50 a.m., I saw what was likely a female hop on the concrete platform that holds up the sign, as another bird continued to sing about 100 feet to the east. The bird I presumed to be a female chipped loudly, and then flew toward where the other bird was singing, which I watched it feed on insects for several minutes. Just after 10:00 a.m., I met Warren Woessner 200-300 feet north of where I had been to the 35W bridge memorial sign on the West River Parkway. We both observed the singing male in a cottonwood a few feet northwest of the sign. I saw no evidence of either bird carrying food other than the presumed female eating the food herself.