MOU-RBA Archives

March 2014

From:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:57:14 -0600
I went out to Jackson, Watonwan and Martin counties today to look for Snowy
Owls that had been reported recently.  I didn’t find any in Watonwan or
Martin counties but I did find one in Jackson a bit further south of the
locations where they had previously been reported.  It was on 900th St on
the north side of the road ½ mile west of 560th Avenue.

When I left the Rochester area this morning the ground was all white with
snow but as I got past Mankato and on into Jackson County, most all of the
snow had melted and created many flooded fields (which were now all frozen
since it didn’t get above freezing today).  The remaining snow was just in
the ditches and in shelterbelts.  When I saw that the snow had disappeared I
was afraid that the Snowy Owls would have moved out when the warm weather
moved in but, thankfully, one was still hanging around.

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in SE Minnesota
http://www.Birding-Minnesota.com