MOU-RBA Archives

September 2012

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
sparky stensaas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2012 09:23:21 -0600
Hi All,

Found a male Spruce Grouse on the Whyte Road about a 1/2 mile east of the Stoney River Forest Road in Lake County (Superior National Forest)

He was picking grit and then flew up into a Tamarack to feed on the needles. I have seen them eat Jack Pine and Black Spruce needles but this was  a first (probably because I usually see them in winter after the Tamarack needles have fallen)

See photo and video here:

http://thephotonaturalist.com/

Also for future (i.e. winter) reference, the Stoney River Forest Road is closed about 9 miles N of CR11/15. It sounds like the June floods washed out the road. It is closed indefinitely.

So you can drive the northern 6 miles (accessible from Hwy2) or the southern 9 miles (accessible from CR11/15)

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall, MN 55797
218.341.3350 cell