MOU-RBA Archives

January 2014

From:
Frank Gosiak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Gosiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2014 14:20:21 -0700
Milt Blomberg and I are still receiving reports from students and staff
concerning the local Snowy Owls. This is what makes birding fun, when you
see others catching the fever. My 8th grade drawing class wanted to draw
Snowy Owls today (they actually asked me if they could). I showed pics from
the web and projected them up on a screen. They asked many questions about
sex i.d. and where they came from and why. The discussion led to other Owls
and we looked at all from Minnesota and a few other places. I got some nice
drawings. Kids who showed no interest before are asking many questions and
telling me what their families are talking about. White Owls are a big topic
around here. Now I'm hearing that Josh Walsted, a fellow teacher, is getting
reports from students and co-workers in Meeker County. Its fun birding and I
do it as much as possible, but, its more fun getting others involved. Who
knows where this will lead to. On another note: the Philbrook CBC was cold
and counts were not very high. No Snowy Owls so my search goes on in Todd
County. Even though I found only 19 species it was fun being with my Son for
what has become a tradition. January 1st in Philbrook.