MOU-RBA Archives

May 2010

From:
Karl Bardon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Bardon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 09:50:32 -0600
I watched a Pacific Loon in breeding plumage from Lafayette Square on Park Point (30th St.) this morning from 0935-1006. It was seen with two Common Loons for direct comparison. Calm conditions on the lake this morning made for awesome viewing of loons. While standing in one place near the Sky Harbor airport at the Park Point Recreation Area, I counted 63 Red-throated Loons, all sitting on the water in small groups. This count is second only to the 117 that I counted in Duluth last year on 3 May 2009. Also present along Park Point were 9 Red-necked Grebes and 1 Western/Clark's Grebe, the latter spotted by Mike Hendrickson (we were unable to see the facial pattern with viewing into the sun).

Karl Bardon