MOU-RBA Archives

November 2009

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:27:15 -0700

Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Snow Bunting
Red Crossbill
American Goldfinch
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: November 12, 2009
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, November 12
, 2009 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

What an unusual week for November in the northwest - warm, windy, and
dry. It sure has been a pleasant break, but the weather folks are
promising that it won't last another week. Birds are busy at the
feeders, but lots of waterfowl still hang around. They may disappear in
a day or two.

Gretchen Mehmel reported from Norris Camp in the Beltrami Island State
Forest of Lake of the Woods County. On November 5, Jeff Birchem found a
GREAT GRAY OWL north of Faunce. A flock of RED CROSSBILLS were spotted
south of the Norris Campground on November 6. They were feeding on white
pine cones. On November 7 Jason Lanning saw 8 SPRUCE GROUSE in the same
general area. Gretchen Mehmel saw a NORTHERN HAWK OWL a mile north of
Mertz Corner on November 8. While in Lake of the Woods County on
November 8, Zeann Linder and I saw a few BUFFLEHEADS on Lake of the
Woods, and in the rest of the county, RUFFED GROUSE, 10-12 BALD EAGLES,
GRAY JAY, and both RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH and WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH
were among the species seen.

Most interesting sighting in Roseau County on November 8 was a large
flock of about 200 AMERICAN CROWS along CR 5.

In Beltrami County on November 8, we noted ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK and
NORTHERN SHRIKE.

Zeann Linder and I saw a NORTHERN HARRIER, GREAT HORNED OWL, and
NORTHERN SHRIKE at Agassiz NWR on November 8.

Here in Pennington County, at our feeder near Thief River Falls, the
feeder hosted a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER and a large flock of AMERICAN
GOLDFINCHES in their winter garb.

A RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER was seen by Bruce Flaig at his feeder this week
in southern Polk County. Nate Emery sent in a belated report of a GOLDEN
EAGLE seen on October 31 three miles east of MN 32 and about 2 miles
south of US 2. On November 6, 4 SNOW BUNTINGS were seen at Rydell NWR.

Thanks to Bruce Flaig, Gretchen Mehmel, and Nate Emery for their
reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, November
19, 2009.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN