MOU-RBA Archives

October 2016

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ron Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:10:18 -0500
Hi
This morning my friend Russ and I went down to the re opened Old Cedar Bridge. I wanted to show him the Black Swan that I saw there last weekend but we did not see it. Several other birders who were out earlier did report seeing him however. We were not disappointed otherwise. We saw Northern Shovelers(6), Northern Pintails (2, Redheads (3), Trumpeter Swans (8), thousands of Coots then someone told showed me some photos from the channel on north west side of the bridge of a green winged teal so we went over there. We saw three egrets up in a tree and one in the water, what we think was a Solitary Sandpiper but it was so far we did not get a good look. Several Green Winged Teals, at least one Gadwall, and another sandpiper that we could not id. This looks to be one of the great spots in the Twin Cities for birding. I am grateful for all the work that went into this bridge repair.
Ron Taube
Coon Rapids
There are some photos at this link
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronsthoughts/