MOU-RBA Archives

August 2018

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2018 19:57:21 -0600

Common Yellowthroat
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Canada Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: August 9, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 9,
2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

It has been hot again this week in the northwest, and folks around here
have been very busy with harvesting , both in the garden and on the
farm. Little rain has fallen in the far northwest, but some stormy
weather occurred in the southern part of the area. Many young birds are
being seen in the yards and at feeders, and the first wave of migrants
are already being reported.

A VARIED THRUSH was seen at the home of Shirlee Boyd east of Warroad in
Roseau County, and reported by Beth Siverhus on July 29. It has been
hanging around, but I have no word of it since last Thursday. On August
5th, Shelley Steva and I found an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER north of
Roseau. At the Roseau River WMA we saw a TRUMPETER SWAN pair with 4
cygnets and three COMMON LOONS.

Agassiz Audubon reported the presence of young SORAS and VIRGINIA RAILS
on August 8 at the Agassiz Valley Impoundment which straddles the line
between Polk and Marshall Counties. I was there on August 4 when I saw
large numbers of DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, a few GREAT EGRETS , several
BLACK TERNS , and a GREAT BLUE HERON .

Here in Pennington County, there have been many young CHIPPING SPARROWS,
BALTIMORE ORIOLES, EASTERN BLUEBIRDS, PURPLE FINCHES, and HOUSE FINCHES,
not to mention the hordes of young AMERICAN ROBINS. It seems to have
been a good year for these species. CEDAR WAXWINGS are always present in
the yard lately, and on August 8th a young RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER
visited the feeder.

Sandy Aubol in western Polk County reported several migrating warblers
including CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, WILSON'S WARBLER, CANADA WARBLER,
TENNESSEE WARBLER, NASHVILLE WARBLER, and YELLOW WARBLER. She also has a
few WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS this week in East Grand Forks. OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER was seen along the river.

From Becker County on August 3rd, Betty Erickson observed COMMON LOONS
with two young, GREAT BLUE HERON, OSPREY, BALD EAGLE, BELTED KINGFISHER,
PILEATED WOODPECKER, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW. Warblers seen included
GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHTE WARBLER,
and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.

At the North Ottawa Impoundment in Grant County, Charlene Nelson found a
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER on August 8. Last week she saw ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER, and NASHVILLE WARBLER at their farm near Elbow Lake. On August
5th, she saw a PHILADELPHIA VIREO there. Jim Hovey observed a PRAIRIE
FALCON and a RUSTY BLACKBIRD at the North Ottawa Impoundment on August
5th.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, August 16, 2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN