MOU-RBA Archives

December 2011

From:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 08:32:41 -0700
I agree.  I fear that the vote against the Ferruginous Hawk has nothing to
do with data (in this case a clear photo), but has to do with either of two
factors:

- a prejudice against the data gather.  I do not believe that such
prejudices should not be part of the process and that if the data can not
be impartially analyzed then the committee's processes are tainted and
should be modified.  I, for one, would prefer that the records be
submitted to the committee without identifying the observer.  By the way, I
do not feel that I am personally affected by this prejudice.

- a predisposition against what birds are expected to be observed.  An
example was the dismissal of an observation of several cowbirds
overwintering in Dakota County years ago by a well respected,
birder/ornithologist, and committee member, as not being likely.  We now
know that cowbirds regularly overwinter at large feed lots in Dakota County.

So, why isn't this a Ferruginous Hawk?

--
Steve Weston