MOU-RBA Archives

July 2012

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Malcolm Gold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2012 15:46:44 -0600
Friday afternoon (4pm) I observed two shrikes while golfing at Trempealeau
Mountain GC, but was unable to identify which species they were. This
morning (7-9am) I was able to relocate the shrikes and observed them for
over an hour, finding four Loggerhead shrikes rather than two.  There are
two adults and two juveniles. One juvenile appears identical to the parents
except a slightly gray lightly streaked breast while the other juvenile has
yet to molted in black eye stripe and is nearly all gray.  Dedrick Benz
back channeled me and confirmed the identification, as he separately
observing the same four birds around 9:30 this morning.

Here are three pictures of one of the adults.
*http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/7482178428/*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/7482180916/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/7482175492/

Here is a google map of the location where they were seen.  I informed the
golf course of the rarity, but did not talk to any homeowners.  The birds
were easily visible from Shubert road, spending much of the morning in the
yards along the golf course.  Other birds in the area include Eastern
Meadowlarks, Clay colored sparrows (Dedrick only), Dickcissels, Grasshopper
Sparrows, and a Tufted Titmouse.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210448545266470219527.0004c3a888d899e499e79&msa=0&ll=44.031842,-91.43068&spn=0.003972,0.007457

On my way home I stopped at the intersection of Frontenac and Innovation
Drive in Winona MN, an area currently full of Dickcissels, Grasshopper
Sparrows and dragonflies.  Here are a few pictures from this stop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/7482187366/ (Grasshopper Sparrow)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/7482190890/ (Dickcissel)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/7482195718/ (Twelve-Spotted
Skimmer)