MOU-RBA Archives

November 2016

From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2016 11:25:53 -0700

Brown Creeper
Red Crossbill
American Tree Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: November 25, 2016
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Friday, November 25,
2016 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

After the snow that arrived on Tuesday, the weather in the northwest has
been mild and foggy, and most of the snow has melted. Not much bird
activity has been reported.

A large number of CANADA GEESE of mixed subspecies is still hanging
around Thief River Falls as we still have open water in the rivers and
the lagoons. From our yard we have seen several BALD EAGLES this week,
and today we are having a visit from the RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER.
Otherwise it is still pretty quiet.

A SANDHILL CRANE was reported in Hubbard County on November 19 by
Rebecca Engdahl. Marshall Howe observed more than 20 RED CROSSBILLS in
Dorset this week. He also saw BONAPARTE'S GULL, and DARK-EYED JUNCOS.

From Otter Tail County, Alma Ronningen reported BALD EAGLE, PILEATED
WOODPECKER, RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, AMERICAN TREE SPARROW, BROWN
CREEPER, and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD as well as the more common feeder
species. Kathleen MacAulay found three LONG-TAILED DUCKS on Otter Tail
Lake on November 24. A BELTED KINGFISHER was reported by Wayne Perala on
November 18, and on the 22nd he saw WOOD DUCK, HOODED MERGANSER, COMMON
MERGANSER, and COMMON GOLDENEYE in Fergus Falls.

Thanks to all who reported their sightings this week.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, December 1,
2016.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN