MOU-RBA Archives

November 2009

From:
Doug Kieser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Kieser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 18:22:19 -0700
Jim Otto, Scott Meyer and I birded along the Gunflint Trail and nearby roads this morning.
Some highlights:
2 Spruce Grouse on the Gunflint Trail, about 1 1/2 miles south of Lima Mtn Rd.
1 Spruce Grouse on Lima Mtn Rd. 1/2 mile from Gunflint Trail.  (Sevaral Ruffed Grouse also observed along the Gunflint Trial).
Northern Hawk Owl at the Iron Lake Campground.  We enjoyed watching this bird actively hunting, after capturing a vole it flew to an aspen 20 yards from us and cached the vole behind some loose bark.  We also observed a Hawk Owl across Iron Lake, but aren't totally certain that it wasn't the same bird.
Black-backed Woodpecker - Iron Lake Campground.
Boreal Chickadees - "Moose observation area" just off Gunflint trail.

Doug Kieser
Minneapolis

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.