MOU-RBA Archives

December 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Kelly Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:45:39 -0700
The Bemidji CBC was held last Saturday, Dec 17th. Weather conditions
were favorable for the 12 participants and we tallied 34 species with
three additional species for count week. Judging from the numbers it
would appear that the mild temperatures and lack of snow cover is
having an impact on the "normal" movement of winter birds and late
migrants. Highlights included a Varied Thrush, Evening Grosbeaks, N.
Shrike, Magpie and Brown Creeper. High numbers of Junco and Canada
Goose and the lack of Waxwings and Pine Siskins were noted. Three
additional species were recorded for count week, Sharp-shinned Hawk,
Northern Cardinal, and Hoary Redpoll. A big thanks to our faithful
and trusty team of veteran counters and a warm welcome to our newest
participants, Chuck and Danielle, and Valkyrie.

Canada Goose (85)
Mallard (2)
Common Goldeneye (1)
Hooded Merganser (2)
Ruffed Grouse (2)
Bald Eagle (10)
Rough-legged Hawk (4)
Rock Pigeon (99)
Mourning Dove (8)
Barred Owl (1)
Red bellied Woodpecker (3)
Downey Woodpecker (12)
Hairy Woodpecker (10
Pileated Woodpecker (8)
Northern Shrike (2)
Blue Jay (60)
Black-billed Magpie (1)
American Crow (52)
Common Raven (32)
Black-capped Chickadee (293)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (18)
White-breasted Nuthatch (32)
Brown Creeper (2)
American Robin (1)
Varied Thrush (1) -has been at a private residence on the east side
of Lake Plantagenette
European Starling (97
Dark-eyed Junco (21
Pine Grosbeak (15)