MOU-RBA Archives

July 2013

From:
Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:37:09 -0600
I got out this morning to look for some birds for my July
Hey birders,

I got out this morning to look for some birds for my July list in Blue Earth County.  There were three notable species.

Blue Grosbeak: Take Hwy 68 west from Hwy 60.  Turn left on 216th Street at the MN DOT quarry.  A male was singing on the wire near the quarry in this location.  I posted a photograph to the MOU site.  This is the same location I found one in the summer of 2011.

Common Gallinule: Go west from the Blue Grosbeak location to CR50 and then go south.  Continue south of Hwy 60 where the road turns into 535th Avenue.  There's a wetland on the east side of the road just north of the O.A. Vee WMA; the bird was foraging on the south side.  This is the same location where a pair nested in 2011 (they were not there last year).

Henslow's Sparrow: After striking out on the Henslow's at Minneopa State Park, I was happy to find two singing males at Lincoln WPA.  Take CR32 south from Hwy 60 and continue south of CR13.  Turn east on 169th Street; the birds were singing on the north side of the road not far from the WPA boundary.

Other good finds: Ovenbird, Blue-winged Warbler, Scarlet Tanager, Gray Partridge, Lesser Yellowlegs, Savannah Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, both meadowlarks, Orchard Oriole, Dickcissel.  It was a great morning.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato

"But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?" --Job 12:7, 9