MOU-RBA Archives

October 2014

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:36:26 -0600

Yellow-rumped Warbler
Fox Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Rusty Blackbird
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: October 10, 2014
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Friday, October 10,
2014 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

This week we are finally getting a little of that coveted fall weather
that is free of storms, but we would prefer it to be a bit warmer.
Migration is winding down, and bird feeders are hosting mostly
white-throated sparrows and yellow-rumped warblers.

Kurt Ellwanger reported a flock of several hundred SANDHILL CRANES south
of Old Mill State Park in Marshall County on October 9.

Here at our feeder east of Thief River Falls in Pennington County, we
had a GOLDEN–CROWNED KINGLET on October 4; on October 8, I recorded
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and WHITE-THROATED
SPARROW. All of the above are still here and a BROWN CREEPER came on
October 9.

Sandy Aubol found a NORTHERN SHRIKE along the East Grand Forks greenway
in Polk County on October 9, and several TUNDRA SWANS flew over the
city. Kurt Ellwanger reported two large flocks of SANDHILL CRANES along
Polk CR 21 east if US 75 on October 9. Each flock contained several
hundred birds.

Marshall Howe in Hubbard County reported FOX SPARROW on October 2,
BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE on October 4, an Oregon type DARK-EYED JUNCO on
October 8 , and DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT and RUSTY BLACKBIRD on October
8.

Thanks to Kurt Ellwanger, Marshall Howe , and Sandy Aubol for their
reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, October 16,
2014