MOU-RBA Archives

May 2015

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Peter Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2015 11:29:17 -0600
Hooded Warblers were found at two additional locations today in southern
Washington County.  (The first location is Afton State Park, where they
have been reported on the same territory for at least three years.)  I just
heard from Greg Jahner, who found another individual at Riverside Park in
St. Paul Park (a suburb of St. Paul).  Greg also reported a Prothonotary
Warbler in the same park. At almost exactly the same time, Jesse Ellis
reported another individual Hooded Warbler at Carpenter Nature Center,
south of the platform on the savanna trail.  Both Jesse and Greg got visual
and audio confirmation of the IDs.

Assuming that the previously-reported Afton State Park Hooded Warbler has
not moved (last reported on eBird on 5/25), that makes at least three
individual male Hooded Warblers within a fairly small portion of southern
Washington County.

Two years ago, the Afton State Park Hoodeds nested unsuccessfully, hatching
a cowbird.  Last year there were at least three individuals at Afton State
Park well into breeding season. I don't know if anyone has reported more
than one individual at Afton State Park so far this year.

Peter Nichols
Cottage Grove
Washington County