MOU-RBA Archives

September 2011

From:
Chris West <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:41:17 -0600
Hey everyone,

My good friend Erik Bruhnke (of Naturally Avian) and I spent the morning
birding Wisconsin Point (Superior, WI) yesterday morning.
Had a pretty decent haul despite the relative lack of birds.

The morning started gray and dismal with drifting fog out over the lake that
made visibility quite poor.  Eventually, the clouds lifted somewhat, but
visibility remained less than ideal all morning.

The star of the morning was the adult PACIFIC LOON that was found during
Jaegerfest.
Alas, I have no photos though. The bird was sitting low in the water about a
"mile" out.
Even with the scope at 60X it was difficult to identify, but we eventually
made out the white throat, obviously small bill, dark back, etc.

Other birds for the morning included:
about a thousand Greater Scaup,
a few Redhead Ducks
1 Green-winged Teal
around ten-thousand gulls (Bonaparte's, Ring-billed and Herring),
1 1st winter Great Black-backed Gull,
1 Franklin's Gull
1 Common Loon,
4 Horned Grebes,
6 Sanderling,
2 Black-bellied Plover,
1 Am Golden Plover,
1 Dunlin,

After Erik took off, I birded a little bit farther down the point and came
up with:
3 Merlin,
1 Peregrine,
1 American Pipit,
4 species of Warblers (Myrtle, Palm, Nashville and Orange-crowned),
White-throated, White-crowned, Song and Swamp Sparrows,
both Kinglets,
1 Hermit Thrush,
6 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers,
a few Flickers,
1 Hairy Woodpecker,
1 flock of Cedar Waxwings
and about a dozen Bald Eagles.

I left Duluth at 5:30 ish and arrived home at 11pm last night.
(that story later)

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Madison, WI
Interpretive Naturalist
Mississippi Explorer Cruises

http://mississippiexplorer.com/

http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
<http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/%20>
http://www.nabirding.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire
the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things
breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a
one can be again." (From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function,"
1906)