MOU-RBA Archives

May 2009

From:
Laura Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 2009 16:55:07 -0600

  _____

From: Laura Coble [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 5:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tufted Titmouse and Harris's Sparrow, Cannon Falls, Goodhue Cty

This morning around 7:30, I was delighted to see a Harris's Sparrow feeding
on the ground below my feeders. A moment later, I was astonished to see a
Tufted Titmouse fly in!  It fed for a bit, drank some water, and left,
singing its "Peter, Peter, Peter" as it flew. This is only the third time
I've had a Harris's Sparrow at my feeders, and I've never had a TUTI before,
though I saw many when I lived in Michigan. From the MN Christmas Counts and
other reports, there is evidence that a small number of titmice are spending
the winter in Goodhue and Rice County, and some are nesting, as well. It's
very likely I won't see this bird again, but I'm glad I was looking out the
kitchen window at the time it appeared!

About 15 minutes later, a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Baltimore Oriole and
Indigo Bunting showed up among my regular flock of 20 A. Goldfinches and a
pair of Pine Siskins. What a colorful sight!  The siskins have stayed over
from the flock that visited my feeders all winter, and I'm hoping they will
nest somewhere in the woods close to Cannon Falls.

Laura Coble