MOU-RBA Archives

October 2010

From:
Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:43:34 -0600
Karl Bardon and I had a few interesting non-raptor sightings today,
both from our Lakeside apartment vigil as well as Hawk Ridge.  A
single Ross's Goose (our second of the season, the other, 9/22) was
tucked into a flock of 29 Cackling Geese, riding the lakeshore south.
It was so tiny as to be noticeably smaller, even among the Cackling
Geese.  In the waterbird category, we also noted 4 White-winged
Scoters heading down the shore towards Duluth.

The Gray Jay flight into Duluth has continued into October, with 49
tallied to-date, picking up steam in the last week:

9/27 - 1
9/29 - 3
10/2 - 2
10/3 - 4
10/4 - 1
10/5 - 9
10/6 - 1
10/7 - 2
10/8 - 7
10/10 - 9
10/11 - 10

Lastly, our first Common Redpoll of the season, a singleton, was
recorded from Hawk Ridge today.

Daily count totals of raptor and non-raptors can be viewed at
www.hawkcount.org,

and further information about visiting Hawk Ridge can be found at
www.hawkridge.org.

Karl Bardon and Cameron Rutt
Hawk Ridge counters