MOU-RBA Archives

November 2011

From:
Dedrick Benz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dedrick Benz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:55:33 -0700
At about 1 PM Wednesday I found a Long-tailed Duck at the "Highway 26" Overlook south of Brownsville.  This is older, and more southerly of the 2 DNR overlooks south of Brownsville (The newer more northerly one is the "Brownsville" overlook).  It was diving by itself in the middle of the old "Raft Channel", the center of which denotes the state line.  It was about 200yds. to the southeast from the overlook.  It appeared to me to spend some time in MN waters and some time in WI waters.  I stopped back at around 3:30, and relocated it very close to the MN shoreline with a mixed group of divers (mostly Common Goldeneye).  I was helping someone get on the bird when the ducks took flight around the point.  I'm not sure how far the birds flew as the trees blocked the view.  There was another sighting reported several weeks ago (Select "Review Reported Birds", then "Query Sightings Database" if you are interested), so the bird could still be in the area.
Other birds in the area today:WHITE-WINGED SCOTER: 2 birds seen from end of 1st "leg" of Reno dike.  The zillions of divers out here were getting flushed up quite a bit, so after the initial sighting today I lost track of the birds.  I'm not sure these were in MN waters today, but I did have 2 birds in this general area, 1 of which was in Minnesota waters a couple weeks ago.WILSON'S SNIPE: 84 birds, 100yds. south of Wildcat LandingNORTHERN HARRIER