MOU-RBA Archives

December 2015

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ron Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2015 06:23:50 -0600
Hi
My friend Russ and I went to the Sax-Zim Bog yesterday.  We were hoping for a Great Gray Owl and also to see Pine Grosbeaks that I haven’t been able to find for two years.  Also I wanted to see the Boreal Chickadee and perhaps a Northern Hawk Owl though I didn’t know if any had been spotted up there. Well when we first arrived at the bog  just after sunrise we stopped at the Kelsey Whitefish feeders and only saw a few downy’s and two common redpolls.  I had hoped to see at least a pine grosbeak but nothing there.  We drove around a bit hoping to see some pine siskins at least but nothing. Finally we went to the Admiral feeders hoping to see the boreal chickadee and stayed there almost an hour with no luck. As we were leaving we met a man, and I forgot his name but he said that there was a great gray almost parallel to where we were but on McDavit road. So we drove over there and searched with no luck so we headed back to the Admiral feeders and saw John Cay and a friend of his attempting to see the Boreal Chickadee. We stayed with them for some time but again no Boreal. As we all were leaving I asked them if they had seen the Great Gray and they said that they had seen two in the same area on McDavit as the first man so I asked them if they would show us and they said that they would so we followed them to the spot and we got our Great Grey for the day. Russ had never seen one. We then proceeded to Mary Lou’s feeders where we saw about twenty or so evening Grosbeaks  then we headed to the welcome center where Frank and his wife told us that they had seen some Pine Grosbeaks at the feeder and that if we could wait around a bit they might come back. We waited maybe half an hour and they appeared at the feeder outside the window. At least four males and three females.  I was very happy to see these beautiful birds.  We went to a few other spots after that but that was pretty much it for the day. We never saw a northern hawk owl though we went to several areas where i’ve seen them before and we never saw the boreal Chickadee.  Maybe next trip. Thank you to Frank and his wife for all their help and to John Cay.
Ron Taube
Coon Rapids
Below is a link to some photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronsthoughts/