MOU-RBA Archives

May 2015

From:
MOU admin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MOU admin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2015 20:00:32 -0600
(Posted by Andrew D. Smith <[log in to unmask]> via moumn.org)

A couple of observers I met on the trail today asked to me to post if I was successful in
relocating the Tufted Titmouse along the 9 Mile Creek Trail in Bloomington. I was
successful, thanks to my fortunate encounter with Steve Carlson, who provided the missing
details from most posts about observing this species. The bird was heard singing, distantly,
just beyond the bridge between trail markers 1.7 and 1.8, closer to 1.8. After following the
song, I was able to observe the bird actively foraging and eating for between 3-4 minutes,
before it flew further back into the woods. Unfortunately, I could not confirm breeding, as
the bird appeared to consume all of the prey items it found, and never flew to a nearby nest
cavity. So, even though there have been few posts recently, the bird is still in the area.
Hopeful observers should still try for the bird, even though it is difficult to locate. Good luck
to those still hopeful for the bird.

Drew Smith
Eagan, Dakota County