MOU-RBA Archives

November 2011

From:
dan&erika <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
dan&erika <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 08:08:42 -0700
Erika and I have visited Big Woods State Park three times in October and
early November and were disappointed not to find Red-headed Woodpeckers.

dan

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 8:09 AM, linda whyte <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Laura Coble and I visited Nerstrand last month, without finding them
> in the usual places, around the visitors' center, parking lot, and
> campground; neither did we find them on our hike along trails to the
> north of there.
>
> However, they may well have been off gathering mast from the oaks on
> the south side trails, across the road, where we have also seen them
> in the past. Since it hadn't been too cold at that point, they may not
> have been interested in seeking out the suet feeders by the visitors'
> center, where we usually see them in cold months. In our St. Paul
> yard, other woodpeckers have only recently begun frequenting the nuts
> and suet again.
> Linda Whyte
>
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Fr. Paul Kammen
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I believe these wonderful birds nest there, but I haven't been down
> there this
> > year. I'll give them a call on Monday, but was wondering if anyone has
> visited this
> > state park recently. As far as I know, it's the only place where one can
> regularly
> > see the red headed woodpecker, unless they are common in other areas of
> the
> > Twin Cities. I took some photos a couple of years ago, but wanted to
> take some
> > more closer-up. If anyone knows if they are still there, or where there
> might be
> > some spots to find red-headed woodpeckers, I'd appreciate it. Too bad
> some of
> > their habitat has been impacted and their numbers are down - I hope they
> are
> > stabalizing and doing OK, they are a quite striking bird. I'm thinking
> with the
> > leaves gone now might be a good time to head down on a decent day to view
> > them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Fr. Paul
> >
> > ----
> > Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html
> >

> ----

Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota
http://sites.google.com/site/tallmanorum
http://dantallmansbirdblog.blogspot.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/danerika

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau