MOU-RBA Archives

April 2014

From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 13:08:17 -0600

Eastern Meadowlark
Western Meadowlark
Common Grackle
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota Statewide
Date: April 3, 2014
Sponsor: Minnesota Ornithologists' Union (MOU) http://moumn.org
Reports: (763) 780-8890
Compiler: Anthony Hertzel ([log in to unmask])

This is the Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday April 3rd, 2014.

On April 2nd, the LEWIS'S WOODPECKER was still visiting Janet Anderson's
feeders in the town of Roosevelt along Roseau County Road 17 just north
of highway 11.

On March 22nd, Paul Jantscher found an adult female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE
at Pool #5 near Minneiska in Winona County. She was associating with
several hundred Common Goldeneyes.

And on the 28th, Craig Mandel found a SHORT-EARED OWL at the Reservation
Dam WMA on Lake Traverse in Traverse County.

Thousands of ducks and geese are moving through Minnesota and migration
is beginning to pick up. A few MOURNING DOVES are already on nests,
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS and COMMON GRACKLES are on breeding territories in
the southern half of the state, and AMERICAN ROBINS are common just
about everywhere. And I also reports of northbound migrant AMERICAN
WOODCOCK, RING-BILLED GULL, AMERICAN KESTREL, HERMIT THRUSH, CHIPPING
SPARROW, EASTERN MEADOWLARK, and WESTERN MEADOWLARK.

This was my 1,000th week as your statewide RBA compiler.

The next scheduled update is Thursday April 10th, 2014.