MOU-RBA Archives

February 2013

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:23:37 -0700
Although most of our area rivers are still frozen, trumpeter swans have been seen in the area of Sherburne NWR and environs, I imagine flying around looking for a bit of open water.

On Sunday late afternoon there were about 100 trumpeter swans packed into a small area of open water along Sherburne CR 16 at the south end of Rush Lake.  This site is 3 miles west of the intersection of Hwy. 25 and CR 16. The open water is on the south side of CR 16, across from the public access.

I've also started to see horned larks throughout Stearns, Benton and Sherburne Counties.  I LOVE that the days are getting longer - more hours to go birding each day!

Betsy Beneke
St. Cloud