MOU-RBA Archives

June 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Brian & Risa Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:04:18 -0600
Hi,

On my drive home to Sleepy Eye today I spotted an adult Common Moorhen with two chicks swimming/foraging on the small wetland on the north side of Hwy. 14 at the Rosenau-Lambrecht WMA.  This is between New Ulm and the town of Essig (guessing about 2.5 miles from New Ulm).  By coincidence, this is the same wetland that this species was found in and successfully raised young back in June, 2004.  The chicks were interesting to observe, they have orange bills like the parent and an orange spot on the crown which must be part of the red shield that Sibley illustrates.

Brian Smith