MOU-RBA Archives

April 2011

From:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2011 17:18:08 -0600
This morning, I decided to try for the gulls that had been reported at Canal
Park.  Of the "good" gulls, only Thayer's was present...pretty boring in
Duluth overall.  On the way down, however, I saw a Great Gray Owl hunting
along Hwy 2, about 3/4 mile before I reached the Itasca/Aitkin line.

Originally intending to return to Grand Rapids after birding Duluth, I just
felt a little 'let down' by the Duluth birding and went to Agate Bay.  Of
note there were 4 Long-tailed Ducks hanging around the lighthouse.  Near Two
Harbors was a Northern Shrike on CR 9 and a flock of Snow Buntings at the
airport as well.

On the way back, I decided to check Silver Lake in Virginia.  Don't
worry....Hooded Merganser, Bufflehead, Mallard, Common Goldeneye, Common
Merganser, Canada Goose, Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Blue Heron,
and Merlin are all you missed if you didn't make it there today.

Northern Harriers and Rough-legged Hawks were common along Hwy 2 this
morning.

--
Shawn Conrad
www.itascacnfbirding.com